paperanchours

walk the beat

all I need in this life of sin are caffeine & my book boyfriends

Not That Kind of Girl: A young woman tells you what she's "learned"
Lena Dunham
Progress: 75 %
Isla and the Happily Ever After
Stephanie Perkins
Progress: 44 %
Making Faces - Amy Harmon

GOODREADS SYNOPSIS

Ambrose Young was beautiful. He was tall and muscular, with hair that touched his shoulders and eyes that burned right through you. The kind of beautiful that graced the covers of romance novels, and Fern Taylor would know. She'd been reading them since she was thirteen. But maybe because he was so beautiful he was never someone Fern thought she could have...until he wasn't beautiful anymore.

Making Faces is the story of a small town where five young men go off to war, and only one comes back. It is the story of loss. Collective loss, individual loss, loss of beauty, loss of life, loss of identity. It is the tale of one girl's love for a broken boy, and a wounded warrior's love for an unremarkable girl. This is a story of friendship that overcomes heartache, heroism that defies the common definitions, and a modern tale of Beauty and the Beast, where we discover that there is a little beauty and a little beast in all of us.

MY REACTION

5 'Do you feel that?' Stars

Hell yes, I felt it! I felt the innocence, the humor, the love, the hurt, the regret, the fear, the guilt, the anguish, the misery, the heartache...I felt it ALL. I felt it so much, I had to keep reminding myself that this was only a book. Only a story about a made up town with made up characters. These people aren't really going through this. This didn't really happen. But the beauty and sadness of it all is that this is reality. This isn't some paranormal romance about werewolves or zombies. This is real life. This is probably someone's reality. I was absolutely enraptured by these characters. I grew to love them like I knew them. I experienced this story like it was one I knew personally and that's the reason why I'm rambling in this review with a runny nose and red-rimmed eyes.